We plan to leave Banff/Canmore quite early (~5:00 am) in the morning on Saturday, July 29, drive straight (carpool) up the Icefields Parkway to the trailhead, and begin hiking between 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. We plan to set up camp at the well-known bivy spot below the SW face of Mt. Fryatt. The following morning (Sun, July 30), we plan to get up at a good time for a summit attempt. Depending on timing, conditions, and how everyone is feeling, we may be able to summit, return to camp, pack up and exit on the same day, or we may be required to camp another evening (Sun, July 30) and exit the following morning (Mon, July 31).
Note that this trip is long, and involves bushwhacking, sidehilling, significant elevation gain, route-finding, and the navigation of boulder fields. The summit day will involve ascending and descending numerous sections of steep, loose rock and scree. While we will attempt to use our routefinding and beta from other trip reports to avoid any true, "rock climbing," the possibility certainly exists (as several trip reports have noted) that we will be required to navigate several short pitches that are considered low-grade rock climbing. If you sign up for this trip, you should be experienced with and comfortable on steep, loose terrain (potentially involving several low-grade rock climbing moves).
Please contact me directly if interested in attending. E-mail email@example.com or call/text 250-883-2423
*In the weeks leading up to the trip, I will form a group chat with confirmed attendees to finalize timing, travel, gear, and carpool plans.*
Day 1 - Saturday - Approach & Bivi
Day 2 - Sunday - Summit, back to camp (possible exit, depending on timing)
-Decent fitness, tolerance for long days. 2000-3000m elev. gain over 2-3 days
Recommended Items to Bring:
No glacier gear needed. Based on the limited snowfall this winter, I do not believe we will need to carry axes, crampons, or mountaineering boots. I think we will be able to bypass any snow patches. Trail Runners or Hiking Boots, depending on your preference. This approach/summit does not involve glaciated terrain.
How to Get There:
Approach via Geraldine Lakes (N. Approach).
Carpool Departure Time:
Fenlands Recreation Centre, Banff
Most trip reports I have read on Fryatt are from mid-late August. However, with the low snowfall this winter, I think the window will open earlier for Fryatt, this year.
*Cancellation Policy*: If a participant is unable to attend a paid course or trip, there will be no refund unless the participant finds a suitable replacement that is acceptable to the trip coordinator. Acceptable waiting list candidates will have priority. It will then be the participant's responsibility to recover funds from the replacement. If the coordinator cancels an event, participants get a refund (less any non-recoverable costs). Note that ACC National does not refund hut fees due to weather, delay, closures, or any other reasons. The Rocky Mountain Section of the ACC is a not for profit club and we only charge attendees what it costs us to provide courses or trips.
Trip Feedback If you have any feedback, positive or negative, concerning this trip or any other, we want to hear from you!
Click here to be directed to our "Contact Us" page and contact the appropriate Chair person or the Section Chair. This is also a simple way to make your section executive aware of any praises, suggestions or problems you may have with any area of the Rocky Mountain Section of the ACC.
Thank you for your response.
Registration for this event closed on Saturday, July 22, 2023 at 04:00 PM.