We'll climb the North Ridge of Gap Mountain in Kananaskis. It's a trad/alpine multipitch rock climb (5.6)
Meeting place and start time will be decided later with participants.
The approach to the base of the climb is fairly short (about 1.5km) (300m elevation gain) on a mix of trail and scree. From there it's 2-3 pitches of climbing, then some exposed scramble and another 2 pitches of climbing before the summit.
The descent consists of one rappel then scree descent.
While the climb is technically easy it's different from climbing at the gym or at the local crag. Rock quality can be variable, exposure is more important, route finding can be tricky, sometimes there is no fixed gear or anchors and protection for leaders can be sparse and not always good.
For this trip we'll climb in a team of 3 (ideally) which means there will be only 2 spots available. 1 leader and 2 followers (we can switch leaders and followers at any time)
- The first spot will be given to a person who has already a trad/alpine climbing and multipitch experience. It's important to always have at least 2 experienced people in a team of 3. There is no obligation to lead but it's a possibility for this person if they want to as long as they have the required experience. We will use double ropes so it's important to know how to belay correctly with double ropes.
- The second spot will be given to someone less experienced that would like a chance to enjoy an alpine climb without any commitment. It's also a good opportunity if you are just looking to get into trad but not confident enough to lead or climb bigger objectives. We won't expect this person to lead or belay. But they will be responsible for taking nice pictures :p
You will need:
- Helmet. (MANDATORY. No helmet, no climb)
- ATC belay device. (MANDATORY. Even if you are not planning to belay you will need it to rappel).
- Personal Anchor System (optional). If you don't have one bring a 120cm sling or let me know.
- Carabiners. (At least 3 or 4)
- Prussik. (Even if you feel invincible and confident bring one... and use it).
- Whatever it takes to build a solid 3 points trad anchors. (If you are planning to build one. Otherwise I'll bring extras)
- Approach shoes and rock climbing shoes
- Sunscreen, Glasses
- Inreach (if you have one)
- Layers (for wind, rain...)
- Snack/Lunch and enough water for the day (For a multi pitch it's always a good idea to have a camelbak system to minimize the risk of dropping something)
The trip leader will bring the ropes, trad gear, alpine draws, tap, pitons, radios...
What could prevent the event to happen ?
The event might be cancelled or postponed if:
- The forecast shows possible rain or thunderstorm/lightning
- The group doesn't have at least two experienced trad climbers
- Unhealthy air quality (fire smoke)
To be arranged with the group if needed.
If we haven't climbed together before, if you have questions or doubts feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
SMS or whatsapp:
514 632 4287
It is a recreational trip and NOT a guided trip. The trip leader is volunteering and is not acting in the role of a guide.